Different Flags by Eugenia Renskoff

Different Flags, a book by Eugenia Renskoff, tells the story of 26-year-old Ani. Ani leaves her comfortable but stifling life in San Francisco to travel to Argentina to comfort her widowed Aunt Esther. Once back in her native country, Ani must face her unexpected feelings of love for Padre Luis, her aunt's young and handsome parish priest. Different Flags is a study of Ani's inner conflict.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I am a writer, translator and teacher of Spanish and English to foreign students. I have been writing since I was six. I love to express myself through words. I have also traveled widely.

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Displacement

I always had a suitcase hanging from my hands. I was never safe. I was never sure about anything. Could I start a new project, a new anything? No, there was no time. I was leaving town. I had to fly. I would not be around to finish it. In that other place, the next place-wherever that would be. There, that promised land, I would start to live and do things there. I would be able to be myself there because it was going to be the home I had always searched for. My real home. A place where I would have the warmth and protection I had always wanted.
It was quite obvious that to be displaced had given me an up-in-the-air feeling. I kept myself walking on that tightrope for a long time. There was nothing else I could do except say good-bye over and over again. There was nothing I could do except cry on the inside and smile on the outside while I did it. There was nothing else except cheer up the one or two people I would be leaving behind.
Should I accept this, accept that, accept this other thing, I would ask myself. Which is the right one, the right way? Which is the one I want? Where is it that I belong? Not in my own backyard-not anymore. Not in my lifetime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home