Different Flags by Eugenia Renskoff

Different Flags, a book by Eugenia Renskoff, tells the story of 26-year-old Ani. Ani leaves her comfortable but stifling life in San Francisco to travel to Argentina to comfort her widowed Aunt Esther. Once back in her native country, Ani must face her unexpected feelings of love for Padre Luis, her aunt's young and handsome parish priest. Different Flags is a study of Ani's inner conflict.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I am a writer, translator and teacher of Spanish and English to foreign students. I have been writing since I was six. I love to express myself through words. I have also traveled widely.

Saturday, March 26, 2005

Matilde

February 5, 1983: The sun was hot and the day was humid, but in the afternoon we went to see Matilde. My Tia had to cover her head with a big black umbrella all the way to that woman´s house.
We didn´t have to stay on the sidewalk long and thank God (or something like it) that her gossip was lightweight. But the answer was still the same as it always was: more money, which translates into more dollars from my mother. I don´t want her to be taken advantage of. My mother, just like my Tia, has had to work hard for her money and this Matilde is just a greedy and mean person.
I´ll ask my Tia to speak with Padre Luis. I can´t speak with him myself because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I´ll be as shy as ever. I get very sensitive and nervous around him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home