Different Flags by Eugenia Renskoff

Different Flags, a book by Eugenia Renskoff, tells the story of 26-year-old Ani. Ani leaves her comfortable but stifling life in San Francisco to travel to Argentina to comfort her widowed Aunt Esther. Once back in her native country, Ani must face her unexpected feelings of love for Padre Luis, her aunt's young and handsome parish priest. Different Flags is a study of Ani's inner conflict.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I am a writer, translator and teacher of Spanish and English to foreign students. I have been writing since I was six. I love to express myself through words. I have also traveled widely.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Jealous?

December 10, 1983: A funny thing happened yesterday afternoon. We (my Tia, Doña Teresa and I) were standing on the sidewalk of the church. It was a sunny afternoon and my Tia and I were on our way back from one of our errands. Doña Teresa was asking me about the boyfriend I am supposed to have in San Francisco. I told her I had someone interested in me when I first came to stay with my Tia because I felt so awkward! Girls in Argentina are hardly nuns, and they usually have a boyfriend (or two) by the time they are 16 or so. At 26, I felt like some old maid.
Anyway, just then, Luis walked by us. When he heard the word boyfriend, he looked at me. In fact, he stared and turned a little red. I did not know how to handle the situation, so I nudged my Tia on the arm. She looked at me, then at him.
The last thing I want to imagine is that Luis felt something like jealousy. I mean, I would love it if that were true, but maybe in the seminary they teach them not to feel those feelings, or to pray them away. He is young and he is a man, but. If he tells me he is jealous, fine. Otherwise, I will try to go on as if nothing had happened.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home