Different Flags by Eugenia Renskoff

Different Flags, a book by Eugenia Renskoff, tells the story of 26-year-old Ani. Ani leaves her comfortable but stifling life in San Francisco to travel to Argentina to comfort her widowed Aunt Esther. Once back in her native country, Ani must face her unexpected feelings of love for Padre Luis, her aunt's young and handsome parish priest. Different Flags is a study of Ani's inner conflict.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I am a writer, translator and teacher of Spanish and English to foreign students. I have been writing since I was six. I love to express myself through words. I have also traveled widely.

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Not having a home has a price

Not having a home has a price. The fact that one is out there somewhere, but is in reality nowhere at all, adds to a human being's anger and frustration. I'm not talking here about the homeless people on the streets of any major city. That situation is terrible enough. What I'm referring to is the feeling of emotional homelessness. That is the feeling of liking several places, but not being able to call any one of them home. This is exactly my own story. I left my original home a long time ago, but have not been able to call any other place my home. The first one doesn't exist anymore. It's gone forever. In the meantime, the feeling of confusion shows up everytime I'm asked where I live, or where my hometown is. What do I tell them when I don't know what to tell myself? How can I explain years and years of trying and not succeeding? All I can say is "I don't know. I'm working on it." That would be okay, except that it doesn't sound adult. The words have a lost, hollow ring to them. The same story repeats itself, and I don't know where or how it will end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home