Different Flags by Eugenia Renskoff

Different Flags, a book by Eugenia Renskoff, tells the story of 26-year-old Ani. Ani leaves her comfortable but stifling life in San Francisco to travel to Argentina to comfort her widowed Aunt Esther. Once back in her native country, Ani must face her unexpected feelings of love for Padre Luis, her aunt's young and handsome parish priest. Different Flags is a study of Ani's inner conflict.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I am a writer, translator and teacher of Spanish and English to foreign students. I have been writing since I was six. I love to express myself through words. I have also traveled widely.

Friday, February 11, 2005

My Aunt's neighbors

October 23, 1982: This afternoon we're going to visit an elderly neighbor, an italian lady who lives alone just down the block from my Tia's house. It'll distract her from her problem and from the going back to the USA idea. It's too soon, much too soon.
Last night, when we got back from the lawyer, the neighbors were all there, having some sort of block party. The weather was perfect for it, in the mid 70s. Graciela, the woman next door, must have guessed something was going on because she started to talk about some kitchen gadget she'd bought, asking my aunt's advice about it as if she were the manufacturer. My aunt was a great cook when my uncle was alive. She can make a great Italian tomato sauce without using any pepper and just a hint of oregano.
i realize why my aunt doesn't want to move. Her neighbors are her family, her family in Argentina.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home