Different Flags by Eugenia Renskoff

Different Flags, a book by Eugenia Renskoff, tells the story of 26-year-old Ani. Ani leaves her comfortable but stifling life in San Francisco to travel to Argentina to comfort her widowed Aunt Esther. Once back in her native country, Ani must face her unexpected feelings of love for Padre Luis, her aunt's young and handsome parish priest. Different Flags is a study of Ani's inner conflict.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I am a writer, translator and teacher of Spanish and English to foreign students. I have been writing since I was six. I love to express myself through words. I have also traveled widely.

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Envy

January 21, 1983: The weather is nice and hot here. It must be over 85 Fahrenheit and it's still climbing. I adore it when it's like this because my body doesn't suffer the cold as it did in San Francisco.
There's one thing I can't get over and I shake my head everytime I think about it. That's people's envy when I am asked questions about my family in the United States. Even well-to-do people get that look in their eyes, that look that says: Why shoild you have a little more than us? Can't get used to that. My Tia helps me as much as possible by changing the subject politely or else saying hat we have an errand to run, but it still makes me uncomfortable. Having lived in another place for so many years has given me a great deal of distance and this culture can not feel like mine anymore. I've seen other things and I know there is a better way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home