Different Flags by Eugenia Renskoff

Different Flags, a book by Eugenia Renskoff, tells the story of 26-year-old Ani. Ani leaves her comfortable but stifling life in San Francisco to travel to Argentina to comfort her widowed Aunt Esther. Once back in her native country, Ani must face her unexpected feelings of love for Padre Luis, her aunt's young and handsome parish priest. Different Flags is a study of Ani's inner conflict.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I am a writer, translator and teacher of Spanish and English to foreign students. I have been writing since I was six. I love to express myself through words. I have also traveled widely.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Orange Tiles

March 11, 1985: Almost the end of summer.Today, por no particular reason, I take myself back to the orange tiles in the church of San Vicente. They were dark orange and always shiny. I see the long rows of dark brown pews and the statue of the Virgen on the left hand side of the church near the altar. That is where would wait for him. I would sit on one of the pews under her statue until Luis appeared. Sometimes I waited half an hour, sometimes more. But I didn´t mind. In fact, I loved it because after I got over my shyness, I would raise my eyes from the hem of my skirt and look at him. When he looked back at me, I sensed something in him that told me he cared. Maybe it was my woman´s intution, maybe it was something else. But it was there. What I felt was not one-sided. There is no way I could ever believe that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home