Different Flags by Eugenia Renskoff

Different Flags, a book by Eugenia Renskoff, tells the story of 26-year-old Ani. Ani leaves her comfortable but stifling life in San Francisco to travel to Argentina to comfort her widowed Aunt Esther. Once back in her native country, Ani must face her unexpected feelings of love for Padre Luis, her aunt's young and handsome parish priest. Different Flags is a study of Ani's inner conflict.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I am a writer, translator and teacher of Spanish and English to foreign students. I have been writing since I was six. I love to express myself through words. I have also traveled widely.

Friday, December 03, 2004

Late Bloomer

I am a late bloomer. I grew up late. When I was supposed to have been young, I remember the awful and confusing sights and sounds of not knowing, not daring to know what my life as a grownup would be like. I wanted to hide from it, and sometimes it seemed that remaining a child, staying ignorant was easier and less trouble. I also remember knowing little-practically nothing-about most things. I remember not having confidence in myself, and not even realizing there was such a thing as self-assuredness. My life in those dark years was a series of tea and book reading sessions. It was a series of things not happening, or not happening at the right time. A series of wishes never fulfilled. Of waiting games with my life. Waiting games that have not ended yet.A late bloomer sees things differently. A late bloomer thinks other people are having all the fun while she stays home being old way before her time. A late bloomer does not laugh the way other people do. What does she have to laugh about? She is not a part of a "normal" life as other people understand and live it. She is not part of the "in" crowd, or of any other crowd. She is by herself, a separate being a great deal of the time. She is separate. She is a person cast aside, she is different in a world that does not approve of the word "different". She is lonely in a world that pays only lip service to the idea and the pain of loneliness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home