Different Flags by Eugenia Renskoff

Different Flags, a book by Eugenia Renskoff, tells the story of 26-year-old Ani. Ani leaves her comfortable but stifling life in San Francisco to travel to Argentina to comfort her widowed Aunt Esther. Once back in her native country, Ani must face her unexpected feelings of love for Padre Luis, her aunt's young and handsome parish priest. Different Flags is a study of Ani's inner conflict.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I am a writer, translator and teacher of Spanish and English to foreign students. I have been writing since I was six. I love to express myself through words. I have also traveled widely.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The Lawyer again

October 30, 1982; We got a call from the lawyer we saw in San Tomas the other day. He seemed really concerned bout my Tia's plight and wanted to know if she had anything signed with the landlady, anything at all. I think he asked her this question when we had our meeting, and my aunt told him no, she and my uncle didn't bother to sign a tenant-landlord lease because they trusted Matilde. The man must be grasping at straws, just like we are.
I saw that look of despair and deep sadness again on my Tia's face when she hang up the phone.I wished I could have done something, anything, to make it all go away. If I had enough money, I would take her as far away from San Vicente as I could. All I can do is place a collect call to my mother in San Francisco and ask her if she has any ideas. My Tia's pension barely covers her rent, utilities and food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home