Different Flags by Eugenia Renskoff

Different Flags, a book by Eugenia Renskoff, tells the story of 26-year-old Ani. Ani leaves her comfortable but stifling life in San Francisco to travel to Argentina to comfort her widowed Aunt Esther. Once back in her native country, Ani must face her unexpected feelings of love for Padre Luis, her aunt's young and handsome parish priest. Different Flags is a study of Ani's inner conflict.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I am a writer, translator and teacher of Spanish and English to foreign students. I have been writing since I was six. I love to express myself through words. I have also traveled widely.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Sly Questions

November 3, 1982: We got invited to a neighbor's house for a cup of cafe con leche. It was quite a treat because cafe con leche here tastes a lot better than cafe latte did/does in San Francisco. And if you eat media lunas with the cafe, it's almost heaven. The media lunas also are better than the run of the mill crescents. They're a lot more buttery and delicate and you really don't need to add jam.
Teresa, the neighbor, wanted to know everything about me: what I did in California, did I have a boyfriend, was it a serious relationship, are my parents homeowners or do they rent, everything. I lied about the boyfriend part. I know it's part of the culture here to want to know all about a new acquaintance's life, but it makes me a little uncomfortable. And, frankly, I don't like to be inexperienced about men. Teresa wouldn't understand if I told her the truth. I don't understand it myself. Good thing that my Tia helped me with some of the answers.
Then Teresa got on the subject of Padre Luis, how nice he is and all that. Where did his family come from--Spain or Italy? Spain, from Galicia in the northern part of the country. He has that air about him, that mysterious air that I used to see in the older immigrants from the mother country. Right now I want to know things about him. i don't know where it'll lead me, but I want to know more about the man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home