Different Flags by Eugenia Renskoff

Different Flags, a book by Eugenia Renskoff, tells the story of 26-year-old Ani. Ani leaves her comfortable but stifling life in San Francisco to travel to Argentina to comfort her widowed Aunt Esther. Once back in her native country, Ani must face her unexpected feelings of love for Padre Luis, her aunt's young and handsome parish priest. Different Flags is a study of Ani's inner conflict.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I am a writer, translator and teacher of Spanish and English to foreign students. I have been writing since I was six. I love to express myself through words. I have also traveled widely.

Monday, March 07, 2005

The Party

December 21, 1982: It was so good! I mean, the party was just an enjoyable experience. My first Navidad in Argentina in ages, and being near Padre Luis and getting to know the neighbors a little bit more. They were all nice to my aunt and me. Don't know why that should surprise me, but it does. Everybody was on their best behavior. They were all like actors in a happy Broadway production. The women were dressed up (even the grandmother types) and they wore their best perfume, their best everything.
When Padre Luis came up to talk to my aunt, all I could do was stare at the floor again. I don't like that at all about myself. I really don't. I'll try to do better next time. We couldn't stay for as long as I would have liked, but maybe later. I'm sure there'll be another party sometime soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home